Faith's Journey

True faith can never be a static belief in dogma. Rather, faith speaks of entering a relationship of trust and obedience with Divine Revelation; of being transformed by personal contact with that which is intangible; the unseen. Therefore, subjective feeling is not enough. The quest is to find the meeting place where subjective experience meets the objectivity of Truth. That is Faith's Journey; where all is summed up in the totality of Christ.

Monday, September 11, 2006

London: A Sunny Afternoon on 11th September

As I write, I am at the top floor staff room of the College where I teach in west London. Here, some six miles from Heathrow, I can see across London. I can see the Post Office Tower in central London and across, way across, into the country beyond Westminster and the Docklands. I can hear the gentle roar of a Boeing 747-400 banking hard as she climbs out of Heathrow Airport at around 8,000 feet. The weather is hot - most unusual for September here in Britain. A fairly average day at the beginning as a busy term - in this case, not. Because today is the afternoon of September 11th, 2006. Exactly at this time five years ago, a painstakingly-built Boeing aircraft was hurtling toward the second WTC tower, having been turned into a crude missile of mass destruction, laden with precious human cargo.

As did many others, I saw those surreal yet all too starkly real events unfold live on satellite television. I was in the hotel lobby, along with other fellow Full Gospel ministers who were attending our annual UK FGFCMI convention, where we had hastily abandoned an early afternoon business meeting when the first news came through.

How did I commemorate that bleak unfolding of evil
five years on? As it happened, I've just come out of a class of foreign students - mostly Moslem - who are learning English. Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and many other countries besides represented. We had the students get to know each other; find out where they were from; their aspirations for the future; their dreams and hopes. We had fun. I only briefly drew one student's mind to remember five years ago. After all, no one present would have been over twelve years old when 9/11 happened, and some of them have their own all too real personal tales of trauma and battle-zones to tell. Strangely, f
ive years on, and we had fun. Fun being human. Trusting that these students really will remain human, and not give themselves to a spiral of sub-human evil of hatred and religious rhetoric.

Today, having fun seemed to be the best strategy. I think those who perished five years ago - whether American or British, or from abroad, and whether their end came in a lonely field in Pennsylvania, or at the Pentagon or in New York - those who perished (and I trust, their grieving families today) would want us to move on and make the bravest, boldest positive contribution to the societies we find ourselves servants within.

We had no two minute silence here in Britain. I wished we did. Yet even so, I can never forget. My life has been deeply marked - all the more so since September 11th is very bitter-sweet for me; today we celebrate our teenage daughter's 17th birthday. But in that English class this afternoon, God used these foriegn students to help turn my pain into a positive experience. They unknowingly helped me make a turning point today. Before taking the class, I entered our college prayer room. Perhaps strangely, not to pray. But rather, to phone a dear friend, Janice. A flight attendant with American Airlines. US based, often flying out of Boston. Five years ago, it took five days for Annette and I to establish contact with her and find that she was safe. She had indeed been aloft as the flights crashed, but that particular day, she'd been taken off-line her normal duties and was at thirty-some thousand feet winging her way toward Dallas-fort Worth for her annual re-certification. Some she knew however, had not been so fortunate and perished.

Quiet and un-assuming by nature, Janice agreed to do an exclusive taped interview over the phone with London's Premier Radio. When Premier called her, it turned out her interview went out live in London's drive time. I listened, as a transformed woman shared her faith and her confidence in Jesus Christ, and her determination to stay flying; fearless in the face of anything the enemy of our souls could bring. Janice was speaking for many millions of brave Americans that day, I felt.


It was the day Christians began to man the spiritual battle stations. Alas, many have returned to slumber, or worse, veered off into all sorts of crazy doctrinal aberrations. Meanwhile, Christ continues faithful in his promise to build his Church. Not by human effort or ambition. But by His Holy Spirit. Today, long after the natural dust has settled, I wonder how many of us can stand up tall with Janice, that dear American Airlines flight attendant, and truly be a surrendered part of that which Christ is building through love, compassion, understanding mercy and.. perhaps hardest of all - forgiveness.

I cannot do it on my own power. I can only do it through fresh surrender to Him who so loved us, that - despite the pain, laid His life down that we may live. I still cannot look again at the images of those Twin Towers falling. Yet, together with you, I can respond to His love and see our world change. And starting from within is the only real place any of us can begin that journey.

Blessings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home